The holidays can be stressful especially when it comes to money. My love language is giving gifts so I always end up blowing my budget when I find at least 15 “perfect” gifts for everyone on my list. To help with this, I have found that making gifts can be an inexpensive and easy way to give unique gifts to many of the people on your holiday list. BUT if you are anything like me you realize halfway through a project that the “easy” Pinterest craft doesn’t come out anything like the picture! Well, here are a few DIY holiday gifts for mom that you can actually make look like the pictures.
Mugs: If you have been on Instagram lately you might notice that pictures with mugs are all over the place. Make a mug for an on-the-go mama in your life that loves coffee or tea. I found this Etsy shop, Follow Your Arrow, that makes fun vinyl decals that are perfect for a simple DIY mug. I bought the mugs from Target and the travel mug from Michaels.
How I made it:
- Wash the mugs and let them dry completely
- CAREFULLY place the vinyl decal on the mug where you want it being careful because you can’t lift it up once it is placed
- Flatten the decal on the mug and use a credit card or old gift card to make sure the vinyl is completely rubbed off
- SLOWLY peel the backing off
- That’s it!
This gift cost a total of $5 (per mug — the travel mug version was a total of $7)
To enhance this gift buy some coffee or tea and chocolate and give a little package.
Wood Photo Transfer: I love the look of photos on wood, so when my friend made one for me for my wedding a few years ago I knew I had to learn how to do it! I found the easiest instructions come from Lorin Sell’s blog here. This is the perfect gift for a rustic mama.
I followed her instructions almost exactly, so I won’t re-write them here. I did make one exception which is that I purchased a long wood plank and used a hand saw (or Dan’s dad did 🙂 )to cut it to 8×12 pieces.
There are a few things to keep in mind when you do this.
- Use a light stain (not medium or dark) for best results, mine here is a little dark
- Anything that is white or very light in the photo will be “wood” color when the transfer is complete so be careful of overexposed areas in photos
- Leave the paper on for at least one day — we took it off after about 10 hours, but it could have used more time in my opinion
Soap: Soap is a wonderful gift because it’s practical but still nice. Make some lavender soap for a stressed out mama in your life who could use some relaxation. I got this idea from A Pumpkin and A Princess and changed it slightly.
How I made it:
- I purchased Shea Butter soap from Michaels (make sure to check the website for coupons!)
- I heated 1lb of the soap for 45 seconds in the microwave until everything was melted
- I cut open and mixed in two tea bags of Chamomile Tea
- I added 1 tablespoon of dried lavender flowers (I got these at Michaels, but you can also get them on Amazon)
- I added 12 drops of lavender essential oil and 6 drops of purification essential oil (need oils? contact me!)
- Once everything was well mixed, I poured it into a donut mold and let it sit for a few hours
To enhance this gift place some chapstick, nail polish, this super easy Homemade Coffee Scrub or other personal care items with it to make a relaxation kit. You can also include this easy lip scrub recipe!
This gift cost $15 for 12 donut soaps (note: I already had the donut pan and essential oils – if you don’t have a donut mold you can get soap molds fairly inexpensively on Amazon or at Michaels)
Memory Box: I am such a memory freak. I love to keep everything from old cards to ticket stubs, but I need a place to put everything so I don’t have drawers of clutter. Make a memory box for the sentimental mama in your life.
How I made it:
- I printed 25 pictures of Aiden from Shutterfly
- I cut them out and glued them to a simple storage box from Michaels
- I used Mod Podge once I had everything where I wanted it to seal it in
Enhance this gift: A photo book would be a perfect addition to this memory box. You can get ones that are 8×8 that would actually fit in the box. Snapfish is offering 40% off Photo Books! Use promo code MERRYBK40 through December 1.
This gift cost $10
Do you ever make DIY gifts for the holidays? Please share your ideas and creations in the comments.
Disclosures: This post contains affiliate links, so if you make a purchase using one of the links I may make a small commission at no cost to you. Not to worry, I only talk about products I really love and use. Also, I received two vinyal decals.