I am definitely a sentimental mama and the holidays usually get me especially mushy as I reflect on the last year. I also tend to be much more productive which is great for my crafty side. This year, I put together a quick shadowbox of our baby’s first baby things from the hospital. I plan to hang this in our bedroom. This is a super easy DIY decoration for any room in the house!
Here are the instructions to make a shadowbox of baby’s first hospital items
- I purchased an 11×14 shadowbox from Michaels. They are having a great sale on frames right now so it’s a good time to buy and stock up! My frame came with little pins which I love the look of. If you get one that doesn’t have pins, you could easily get some from the sewing section of Michaels or Amazon.
- Be aware of where the hangers are on the back of the backing. There is nothing worse than putting the whole thing together and then having to re-do it because you did it upside down!
- I folded his baby blanket and pinned that to the back of the shadowbox (just to hold it in place).
- I folded the arms of his hospital shirt and pinned that on top of the baby blanket.
- I pinned his hospital hat to the top left of the frame.
- I put his hospital pacifier to the top right. I did not pin it down and you will have to play with it a bit to make it fit right when you close it.
- I had some letter stickers in my craft box so I put a letter “a” in the corner.
- The hardest part was closing the frame. Most everything is pinned so that is easy but the pacifier is not, and I didn’t want it to move from its place. I put the top/glass part of the frame on top of the backing and then picked the whole thing up and flipped it over to secure the back.
The only thing that is missing from this is his hospital bracelet, which I would have loved to add (to the bottom right), except his dad threw it out 🙁 (and he still isn’t living that one down!)
I would love to see your shadowbox of baby’s first hospital items if you make one. Send a picture!