I am so happy to have my friend Schatem back to talk about her experience choosing a birth center for her labor and delivery. It was a different experience from my hospital birth and I think all moms should do their research to find out what will work for them.
By Schatem Boyd
In my last post I talked about having my baby in a birthing center, so I thought I would elaborate on why having my daughter this way was such an amazing experience. This is my experience choosing a birth center.
Prior to settling on Nova Natural Birth, I toured their facility and attended a new client meeting. I loved what they were about. Their birthing philosophy was completely in line with mine. Here was my list of things I wanted in choosing a birth center:
- I wanted a calm setting.
- I wanted to be able to walk around, stand and be in any position I needed to be during my labor.
- I wanted to be able to eat and drink to maintain my strength through my labor.
- I wanted to labor for as long as I needed to in order for my baby to come into the world on her terms. I did not want to be rushed or told that I was taking to long to have my baby simply because of a staff shift change.
- I wanted a midwife as well as a doula
- I wanted to know the person birthing my baby, not the doctor on call.
- I wanted to birth my daughter in water.
- I wanted delayed umbilical cord cutting.
- I wanted to be able to have skin to skin contact with my daughter the moment she was born.
- I wanted to be able to nurse right away.
Here are some things I did not want:
- I did not want a room full of people in and out, machines beeping and doctors and nurses prodding at me and my brand new baby.
- I did not want to have to fight to maintain my birth plan of no drugs and no interference such as Pitocin to speed up my labor.
- I did not want to be separated from my baby at any point,
- I did not want to spend the night in a hospital.
Nova Natural Birth let me pick the room I wanted to labor in. Over the course of my pregnancy I saw everyone of the midwives at one point or another so that I had a personal relationship with all of them. I knew no matter who wound up being there for my daughters birth I would be comfortable. I also hired a doula and she helped me come up with my birth plan.
At the end of the day, my birth experience was calm, relaxing, not rushed hard work supported by women who were dedicated to bringing my daughter into the world safely. This was my first baby and I labored for 9 hours. I was able to move the entire time. Being able to move during contractions helped to minimize the pain. I labored in the water most of the time. The water was so calming that I would literally pass out during contractions. My doula and my husband made sure I stayed hydrated and fed so I was able to keep up the hard work.
Once my daughter was born, we spent precious time just cuddling. There was no interference to clean her, give her shots or take her away from me. She nursed right away and after about 4 hours, my husband our new baby and I went home. No spending the night in a cold hospital. We were home as a family in our own bed, forever grateful for the decision we had made to have her at a birth center.
Whichever direction you take with regards to where you will have your baby, I would recommend having a list of things you definitely want and definitely don’t want when choosing a birth center or any birth place.
Hey everyone. My name is Schatem I am a 34-year-old personal trainer, business owner, part-time freelance business advisor and consultant and most importantly, mom to my beautiful 2-year-old daughter. My life is crazy busy with a lot of moving parts. I have become a master at juggling! I love helping people. It is my passion! If I can help someone, it makes my day. When I am not running my business, I am training people, helping them discover their strength and ability to change their body and lifestyle, or I am helping others build successful businesses. With all of this, I feel like my greatest accomplishment is my daughter. It took me 2 ½ years to get pregnant and when I finally got my little miracle, my life was changed forever! I am excited to be a part of this blog and hope that some of my story will help others!